The content is based on a variety of sources and aligns with best practices demonstrated in the International Association of Business Communicators’ (IABC) international standards for accreditation and Gold Quill Awards judging.
Before finalizing the content of the seminar series, Cross Wise conducts brief telephone interviews with all participants to understand their background, knowledge of communications planning, and learning styles and preferences. Based on that research, the content of the seminar series is adapted to meet their needs.
The series is typically offered as two seminars (two full days) with a few week gap between. However, variations are possible depending on travel and client needs.
Topics covered in the series include:
- Link to business goals
- Choosing which level of plan is right for each project – The “full meal deal vs. the quick and dirty”
- Research and analysis – SWOT, gap analysis and more
- Audience identification and description
- Goals and objectives
- Key messages and proof points
- Tools and tactics – choosing the best bang for the buck – when you can’t do it all
- Critical path
- Selling to the client – using the communications plan as a tool for relationship building and discussion, and building the communications value proposition with/for your clients
- Also woven into the sessions is reference to a communication model that brings the IABC vision of “Communicators at the Heart of the Organization” to life.